A recent study by French skincare favourite, Avène, found that 72% of people experience blemishes on a regular basis with 63% of respondents allowing it to affect their mood for the day.
Contrary to popular advice from dermatologists, 93% of people would in fact squeeze a spot. Toothpaste, ice wrapped in tinfoil and perfume were some of the interesting home remedies namechecked that people use to zap a spot.
Blemish prone skin affects teenagers and adults every single day in Ireland. The recent findings revealed that 65% of people were conscious of their skin as a teen and 66% of people didn’t have a proper skincare routine in their teens. More severe cases of acne can impact on people’s confidence which can have a knock-on effect on socialising and working environments, impacting overall on people’s quality of life.
Avène has a range of simple, gentle and non-comedogenic products specially formulated for oily skin, blemishes and blackheads. The Cleanance range has been developed purely to help reduce blemishes while respecting the balance of the skin.
The Avène Cleanance range contains 10 key products and a newly revamped anti-blemish starter kit. The kit contains the two key products from the range – the award-winning Cleanance Comedomed moisturiser and the Cleanance Cleansing Gel which both contain the revolutionary ingredient ComedoclastinTM.
STEP ONE: CLEANSE
Cleanance Gel: 73% of users noticed a reduction in the appearance of blackheads***
The Cleanance Cleansing Gel, which has recently been repackaged into a 200ml easy-use modern tube, is a daily cleanser that reduces excess sebum, unblocks pores and mattifies the skin for up to 6 hours. Containing 60% Avène Thermal Spring Water, this calming gel has soothing and softening properties leaving the skin clear, refreshed, purified and less shiny.
STEP TWO: MOISTURISE AND CLEAR SKIN
Cleanance Comedomed: Helps Reduces spots from 7 days*
Comedomed, which has gained cult status since its launch in 2020, is an innovative hydrating and mattifying moisturiser for oily skin. The ground-breaking addition to the Cleanance range, reduces existing blemishes and blackheads and limits the appearance of new imperfections, with proven anti-blemish effectiveness from 7 days*. Cleanance Comedomed offers an unprecedented skin care product suitable for blemish prone skin.
Dr Doireann O’Leary, Avène’s skincare ambassador, has some top tips for managing acne prone skin:
- Follow a simple routine and keep the skin clean and moisturised. Less is more with your skincare
- Avoid perfumed and fragranced products
- Change your pillowcase regularly
- Wear non comedogenic make-up and wash your make-up brushes regularly
- Avoid mechanical exfoliants that will irritate the skin
- Try not to touch your face throughout the day
- Wear a good SPF
- Don’t pick or squeeze a spot. As tempting as it may be..
- Finally, remember that sometimes we can do “everything right” and can still have acne. Women with PCOS for example often suffer from very difficult acne due to high testosterone levels. Some medications like corticosteroids cause acne too. You can attend your GP or dermatologist for support and guidance in management of your acne.
Avène Cleanance Comedomed 30ml €22.00
Avène Cleanance Cleansing Gel 200ml Tube €14.99